- Find your nearest food bank or mission, for food
- grocery stores with free samples, bakeries + stores with day-old bread
- different fast food outlets have cheaper food and will generally let you hang out for a while.
- some dollar stores carry food like cans of beans or fruit
- Sleeping at beaches during the day is a good way to avoid suspicion and harassment
- sleep with your bag strapped to you, so someone can’t steal it
- Some churches offer short term residence
- Find your nearest homeless shelter
- Look for places that are open to the public
- A large dumpster near a wall can often be moved so that flipping up the lids creates an angled shelter to stay dry
- A membership to the YMCA is usually only 10$, which has a shower, and sometimes laundry machines and lockers.
- Public libraries have bathrooms you can use
- Dollar stores carry low-end soaps and deodorant etc.
- Wet wipes are all purpose and a life saver
- Local beaches, go for a quick swim
- Some truck stops have showers you can pay for
- Staying clean is the best way to prevent disease, and potentially get a job to get back on your feet
- Pack 7 pairs of socks/undies, 2 outfits, and one hooded rain jacket
- first aid kit
- a travel alarm clock or watch
- mylar emergency blanket
- a backpack is a must
- downgrade your cellphone to a pay as you go with top-up cards
- sleeping bag
- travel kit of toothbrush, hair brush/comb, mirror
- swiss army knife
- can opener
Reblog to literally save a life
if there is a Dollar Tree near you, they have entire food aisles
Planet Fitness also has $10 memberships. you can shower and they have free food days! pizza night 1st monday every month, bagel tuesday the 2nd tuesday every month.
A risk for some at a time of year that can joyous or tough.
An elderly homeless gentleman on YouTube said that if you are in a fragile situation try to make sure your vehicle can double as shelter. He had a hard top pick up truck that he was able to sleep in the back of, and store his scant possessions in. However, he wishes he had bought even a small van. Stealth camping in a van can allow you a safe place to live while working your way back onto your feet. (Hell I am not in a fragile situation, nor am I working poor, but my next vehicle is going to be a van! Because you never know, you know.)